Paratha is the favorite and classic breakfast/main course prepared in variations all over India. When you love parathas and have vegetables stacked in your fridge, you must try this dish. It is a healthy and good way to feed your family some veggies with a restaurant-style taste. It is a simple Indian dish that can be served with chutney, curd or even pickle.
Mixed vegetable paratha
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- Grated cauliflower /cabbage
- Some carrots and beans finely chopped and boiled
- 2 potatoes boiled and mashed
- Finely chopped green chillies
- ¼ tablespoon turmeric powder
- ½ tablespoon chilli powder
- ½ tablespoon chaat masala
- ½ table spoon garam masala
- ¼ tablespoon baking powder
- Take 1 cup maida in a bowl, add a pinch of salt, ¼ tablespoon baking powder and 1 tablespoon oil, a little water and knead the dough.
- Make sure the dough is not so tight
- Cover the dough with a wet cloth and set it for 20 minutes
Preparing the vegetable mix
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to a pan and heat it.
- Add the onions, grated cauliflower and the boiled carrot and beans and fry it
- Add a pinch of salt and ¼ tablespoon turmeric powder
- Add ½ tablespoon garam masala and ½ tablespoon chaat masala
- Cook for 5 minutes
- Now add the green chillies and mix the vegetables
- Turn off the flame and mash the mix using a masher.
- Take the mix in a bowl and add the 2 boiled potatoes and mash to get an even mix.
Let’s make the Paratha
- Take a small portion of the dough and make a ball
- Take some dry maida in a bowl
- Flatten the ball and tip it in the dry maida from both sides
- Now start rolling it. Make a thick Roti.
- Take about 1 big tablespoon of the filling and put on the roti
- Pick the edges and close it like a pouch. Remove the excess dough and make a ball again
- Sprinkle a little dry maida on the ball and start rolling it gently
- Make about a 4-5 inch circle. You will be able to see some glimpse of the filling
- Now take a dry pan and roast it for half a min
- Brush some ghee on each side of the paratha and roast it till golden brown
Your delicious Mixed Vegetable paratha is ready. You may serve hot with some sauce, pickle or curd.
Some tips for you
- The correct amount tightness of the dough plays an important role as it will have to hold the filling properly
- Don’t over fry the vegetables
- When you roll the paratha with the filling make sure you roll very gently and the filling doesn’t come out.
- While rolling keep sprinkling dry maida to avoid sticking.